December 16 2022 / 9am ET (Virtual Meeting)
There were ~22 participants. Kenny welcomed all with an icebreaker: What surprised you about PS31?
A Word from Administration:
Principal Scarlato shared the following:
- Holiday Shop was a success, kids had a lot of fun!
- “Elves” will be heard in the halls next week
- Students decorated the Precinct and will be decorating the stationary store next week.
- Ms. Gallo noted that Covid tests will be going home with students before the break, please test before returning to school and please stay home if ill and/or positive.
Guest Speakers: Ms. Puma, our librarian, spoke about her 22 years with PS31. She was a classroom teacher and eventually became our librarian. She loves to read, of course, and she loves engaging with the students who are often making her laugh. Our library needs more funds to have the proper amount of books per student, and she and the principal have been working to get grants. But more help is needed!
Hafsa Zahid, a 5th grader, spoke about her time at PS31. She also loves to read and will be attending the Young Women’s Leadership School next year.
Francoise Olivas is our featured parent of the month. She has a daughter in K at the school and recently led our Coin Drive! She spoke about her favorite family holiday tradition of volunteering on Thanksgiving, and how she is proud to carry on the tradition with her daughter.
Congratulations to our Debate Team for the Second Place win!
- Chess Program; Still going strong! Some kids might be moved off of the waitlist by January
- Holiday Shop was a success! Lots of parents volunteered, we are very grateful! Kids bought presents for their loved ones. All students who needed a voucher to shop were given one.
- Purchase NEW PS31 Merch!
Donate for your end-of-year tax deduction
- Coin Drive was a great way to meet new parents and chat, Kenny listed the “soundtrack” that played while we counted coins
- Picture Retake Day: Jan 20
- Look for information about our School Musical! Coming Soon!
- UPCOMING: Volunteers needed to join our new committees: Audit Committee, World’s Best Chocolate Fundraiser Committee, Spring Fundraiser Committee. Please email [email protected] to learn more!
- Peter: Financial Update.
- Reminder to create your NYCSA account! She can help anyone who needs help with this!