Committees in the PTA:
- Merchandise: manages current and creates new merchandise that represents the PTA. Head of Committee: Kristin Dougherty.
- Social Media/Website: manages social media outlets (Facebook, Instagram & Twitter) and website for the PTA. Head of Committee: Kara Manber.
- Fundraising: manages current endeavors; researches new fundraising opportunities.
- Chess committee: organizes the fundraising efforts for nationals, creates invoices, manages chess-specific bank account, manages logistics. Heads of Committee: Julia Balanova; Deron Hurst; Margaret Ostafin.
- Green Wellness Committee: seeks ways to provide wellness and social-emotional support to PS 31 students, teachers, and parents. Head of Committe: Kristin Dougherty.
- Gala Committee: plans and implements our biggest fundraiser of the year. Head of committee: Jennie Ward.
- Fall Festival committee: plans and implements our Fall Festival! Head of Committee: Kara Manber.
- Grant Writing committee: researches and writes grants for the PTA and school.
- Title 1 Committee: attends the Title 1 workshop each year and helps to determine how to spend the parent engagement money. Our Title 1 Parent is Kara Manber.
- Photography Committee: Photographs events and merchandise. Archives all PTA photographs. Communicates with admin to confirm clearance of students images for use on social media and the website. Provides needed images to social media/website committee as needed. Heads of Committee: Drew and Melissa Wiedemann.
- School Tour Committee: attends school tours and/or organizes parent volunteers to attend school tours. Head of Committee: Olivia Tharp.
- Class Parent Coordinator Committee: Collects class parent information, keeps records, and disseminates information to class parents throughout the year. Head of Committee: Sheila Eymold.
- Recess Committee: Organizes recess volunteers throughout the year. Heads of Committee: Stephanie Samperi-Gonzalez & Nonie Brzyski.
- Nominating Committee: runs the election process from the February meeting timeframe to the election in early June.
- Audit Committee: runs an internal audit of the PTA accounting books.
PTA Executive Board Duties:
President/Co-President: Jennie S. Ward and Kenny Volandes
Signs all checks, pays bills.
Works with heads of enrichment programs and signs contracts.
Both officers officially sit on the SLT (School Leadership Team).
Sits on Presidents’ Council or sends an official representative (1 voting member).
Attends CEC (Community Education Council) Meetings.
Speaks at Teacher Appreciation Day and the 5th grade graduation.
Organizes and follows up with committees.
Leads board and general meetings, helps determine agenda.
Obtains money from the community for the PTA.
Works closely with Gala Chair.
Treasurer: Heather Milburn
Creates a budget for the year, with board input; distributes to the general membership.
Requests and collects dues, follows up, keeps records.
Writes a mid-year and end-of-year budget.
Keeps up the bank account and PayPal.
Writes mini reports after each event fundraiser, non-event fundraiser, and envelope fundraiser.
Uses the Waves app to keep finances updated for the board.
Oversees the annual audit by the committee chosen from the general community.
Secretary: Kara Manber
Takes notes at board and general meetings.
Oversees the committee that keeps up the website and social media accounts.
Collects all parent information and creates a school/class list at the beginning of the year.
Oversees the Class Parent Coordinator’s effort to secure a class parent for each classroom.
Works with Class Parent coordinator to notify and support class parents throughout the year.
Sends PTA newsletters via Mailchimp.
Writes notices to be backpacked (reminders for meetings, events).
Board Member Position: Tina Culmone
Be a fifth voice for the students, providing a helping hand with all of the tasks we all do throughout the year. This position will develop with the personality and choices of the member who currently holds it. They will attend all Board meetings, be at PTA meetings, make decisions alongside the other board members, and be cc-ed in all emails with the other members of the board. The difference about this position is that it’s not as proscribed and can be a combination of what needs being done and what they are interested in spearheading.
Determine enrichment programs in collaboration with administration.
Attend meetings with the administration.
Are liaisons between parents and the administration.
Determine fundraising needs for budget.
Help run Fall Festival, Gala, and other events.
Schedule Fifth Grade Field Trip in collaboration with administration.
Book and organize Teacher Appreciation Day lunch and gifts.
Fundraising for and implementation of School Production.
Keep up Gmail account—email and calendar.